Congratulations! You've Decided to Get Focused and Get Fit!

Welcome to Alexis Martin's "Get Focused, Get Fit" blog! I hope this helps you set attainable goals and more importantly, REACH your goals! Check back regularly for updates and new helpful hints to stay on track!

Thanks for putting your health first,
Alexis Martin

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Low Cal Yummy Recipe Its Quick & Easy too!

I thought I'd share a recipe with you that I just made for dinner for tonight.  It only takes about 5-10 minutes to prepare and is ready to eat in 30 minutes.

Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit -Healthy Style!!

First you have to buy the box of chili mix, I get it at Vons where all the packet items are near the tomato sauce.

I pretty much follow the directions on the packet, but I use the following ingredients:

2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 pkg- Jennie-O Lean ground turkey
1 15 oz can unsalted diced tomatoes
2 8 oz cans unsalted tomato sauce
1 1/2 - 2 cups water
1 15 oz can unsalted pinto beans
1 15 oz can unsalted black beans
1 15 oz can low sodium kidney beans (couldn't find unsalted)
1 15 oz can unsalted whole kernel corn

I use the entire spice packet, 1/2 the salt packet, a pinch of the cayenne packet and only 1/2 the masa flour packet (all packets in chili kit).

1 cup serving:      253 Calories, Fat 7.13 g, Carbs 28.6 g, Protein 17.45 g
1.5 cup serving:  397 Calories, Fat 11.2 g, Carbs 45 g, Protein 27.4 g

There are 11-1 cup servings in a pot and 7-1.5 cup servings in a pot.  I sprinkle diced onion on top and 1 ounce (1 Tbsp) of pro-biotic monterery jack cheese on top or skim mozarella which adds about 50 more calories.

Skip the bread or corn bread and have a small crunchy salad on the side, or better yet, top your lettuce greens with the chili for a different version of taco salad!!  Then you don't need dressing, maybe just some salsa, hope you like it!



After eating it, I must say it was a little bland, so I added Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy seasoning and it was great!!  (you can even ask him!)  Just try not to add salt, you don't want to get puffy :).



No comments:

Post a Comment